Places to Visit in Venice
Unconventional Places to visit in Venice
Founded in 5th century, Venice is major maritime power of 10th century which is spread over 118 small islands. The whole city is an extraordinary architectural masterpiece in which smallest building contains works by greatest artists such as Titian, Giorgione, Veronese, Tintoretto, and others. It is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe where one can simply get lost for a few hours wandering through its little streets and passageways and strolling beside its canals. Venice and its lagoon landscape is result of dynamic process which shows interaction between ecosystem and people. With a city filled with tourist attractions like Venice, it is hard to know where to begin. Well, here’s help for you:
- St. Mark’s Basilica
Venice’s best known church and one of the most easily recognized in the world, St. Mark’s Basilica was Doge’s private chapel decorated with Byzantine art treasures. The gold-backed mosaic pictures above doorways on the façade hint at inside mosaic artistry, where 4,240 square meters of gold mosaics cover walls and domes. The magnificent golden altarpiece – Pala d’Oro is one of the finest in Europe and was adorned with precious stones and 2,000 gems.
- St. Mark’s Square
St. Mark’s Square is known as Venice’s living room and architectural grace. The place has drinks coffee, meet friends, tour guides and stops to chat. Its three sides are framed in arcades, beneath which are fashionable shops and cafes. The open end is bookmarked by exotic curves, erratic, swirls, mosaics and lacy stone filigree. To enjoy views of this busy square, you can go to its top or to the top of the Torre dell’Orologio.
- Palazzo Ducale
Built in Venetian Gothic style, Palazzo Ducale is a palace which impresses visitors with its finesse of architecture and size. It is one of the 11 museums run by Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia. Its oldest part is the wing overlooking the lagoon which has corners decorated with 14-centruy sculptures. The loggia and ground floor arcade are decorated with 14th and 15th century capitals. The public entrance to this palace is via Porta del Frumento, on the waterfront side of the building. The north side of the courtyard is closed by the junction between palace and St. Mark’s Basilica.
- Grand Canal
Located in Venice, Grand Canal forms one of the major water-traffic corridors in the city. Public transport is provided by private water taxis and water buses. Additionally, many tourists explore the canal by gondola and it is where Biggest Boating Event is hosted. One of the canal leads into the basin at San Marco and other leads to Santa Lucia railway station. The canal is 3.8 KM long, and 30 to 90 m wide, with average depth of five meters. Its bank has more than 170 buildings, most of which dates back from 13th to 18th century. The canal has four bridges – Rialto Bridge, Ponte dell’Accademia, Ponte degli Scalzi and Ponte della Costituzione.
- Ponte di Rialto
Ponte di Rialto is oldest bridge across the canal and was dividing line for the districts of San Polo and San Marco. Built in 1588, this stone arch bridge supports double set of shops and two busy streets. The structure of bridge has two inclined ramps meeting at movable central section which can be raised for passage of tall ships. This bridge was designed by Antonio da Ponte and is today one of the top tourism attractions in Venice.
- Scuola Grande di San Rocco
Built between 1515 and 1560, Scuola Grande di San Rocco is impressive white marble building to house charitable society dedicated to San Rocco. This building is known for its collection of paintings by Tintoretto. The painter was commissioned to provide paintings for Scuola and his most renowned works are to be found in Sala Superiore and Sala dell’Albergo. Other works present include paintings by Palma il Giovane and Titian.
- Ca’ d’Oro
Ca’ d’Oro is a palace on Grand Canal in romantic city of Italy and is one of the older palaces in the city. It is named so due to glit and polychrome external decorations which once adorned its walls. Built in 1428 and 1430, its architects were Giovanni Bon and his son Bartolomeo Bon. Other nearby buildings in this style is Palazzo Giustinian and Palazzo Barbaro.